Saturday, February 9, 2013

66 and Counting

February 8, 2013 - 66 and Counting.....13 miles (88:00) out/back - Shinnston/Wyatt/Cunningham Run Rd. -  Ok.....this is my first entry using a mobile device...so far I like the computer much better. :-p.
      My legs felt a little fatigued, but better than I thought they would.  The run was very peaceful and seemed to go by fast for the most part.  The largest part of the run was out on country roads, which I love.  Sometimes the only downfall to these peaceful runs is an occasional interruption of peace....in the form of loose dogs.  As I approached the 6.5 mile turnaround point I saw a dog in the distance running across a fenceless yard.  My slightly heightened anxiety eased up immediately as I realized the dog was leashed up to a zip line between two trees.  My heartrate did elevate again slightly when I turned around to head back.  The dog was charging hard right toward me, but once it got within about 15 feet of me, the zip line came to an end, and the leash yanked the boxer back towards the yard.  Although I knew the dog was tied up, I often can't help but think, 'what if he somehow breaks loose?'  That thought quickly faded over the next half mile; even to the point where I pretty much ignored the next bark I heard.  I could tell it was behind me somewhere, but far enough away that caused me no concern......until I heard another bark (still behind me, but slightly louder this time).  After hearing a third bark at an even slightly higher volume, I turned around and saw a large, black dog (not sure what kind...I'm not a dog expert by any stretch of the imagination) bearing down on me.    I immediately screamed 'Hey!' at the top of my lungs (which is not fun to do while running and trying to turn around at the same time) :-P.  The dog stopped in its tracks.  After a few more glances back, I realized the dog decided I was not worth chasing down anymore.  Thankfully, I was dog-free the rest of the run!

No comments: