Wednesday, February 27, 2013

49, 48, 47 and Counting

February 27, 2013: 47 and Countning.....  12-miles - YMCA Treadmill (4.5 mile warmup w/strides; 4 x 0.75 miles (4:55 per mile pace - treadmill on 12.2 mph);  w/0.25 recovery jog in between at 7.7 mph; 1 x 1.2 miles at 4:55 per mile pace; 2 mile cooldown.  Now that track season is in full swing, I am unable to get on the track after school.  To get on the track, I will either have to wait until about 5:30 or 6:00 pm OR hit the track at about 4:00 am.  It was cold and raining this morning, so I decided to head to the YMCA for a treadmill workout.  I like the treadmills at the 'Y' b/c they can go up to 12.5 mph allowing for track workout type speed.  Overall, I am pretty pleased with the workout.  It was definitely a hard effort, but it felt good.  This was encouraging as most of my runs lately have been a bit of a struggle.  Speaking of 'struggle', the saying on my school calendar for the month of February is, "Without struggle, there is no progress."  There has been plenty of struggle over the past week, so hopefully that means progress is being made. :-P  It still all comes down to trusting God.  I still believe His purposes will be accomplished through this entire journey; from each training session all the way to the race itself.  I truly want to lock in on Him...giving everything to Him......my training, my heart, my mind, my focus.....I want to direct it to Him.  I then desire to have Him flow out of me.....in my thoughts, words, actions, and running.  There are so many distractions, and I fail everyday in several ways.  I thank Him for His patience, mercy, and grace.  He is pure.  He is good.

February 26, 2013: 48 and Counting..... 10 miles (70:40) - treadmill.  This run was ok, but not great.  I eventually worked up to 9.2 mph and hung in there for about a mile, then had to knock it back down to 8.8.  I felt the effort was too hard at 9.2 b/c I have a speed workout scheduled for tomorrow.  I would like to have some bounce in my legs for the workout, so I didn't want to keep my heart rate too elevated for this run.  I know I have said this before, but I am still amazed how my heart rate sky rockets at relatively lower speeds on my treadmill compared to the same speeds on the road, track, and even other treadmills.  I'm not too worried about it since I don't feel this way running the same or even faster speeds on the road.  I'm just glad the Boston Marathon will not be on my treadmill. :-P

February 25, 2013: 49 and Counting......Day off.  I considered doing a 6-miler today, but since I had a little bit of a rough week last week, I thought it would be best to just let my body rest.  This is sometimes hard to do when I have mileage goals.  I was hoping to hit 80 miles this week, but since I took the day off, God-willing, I will max out at 75 miles this coming week.

1 comment:

Jason Pyles said...

I know we talk about this just recently but your in the toughest stretch of the training right now. Close enough to taste the race, but still far enough away that you have lots of hard work yet to do. Every serious Boston runner is going through the same physical battles right now. Keep being that great Christian leader that you are everyday and the training/running is going to fall into place. I really feel this is going to be your breakthrough marathon in many different way! Keep up the great work, talk with you soon!