Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Four......

January 7, 2014......The plan today was a treadmill workout in which I warmed up 4-miles with some strides then run 2-miles at half-marathon goal pace, and finally cool down for 2-miles.  The warm-up was fine.  The 2-mile tempo did not go as planned.  I have talked about in past blogs how for some reason it is much harder for me to run the same pace on my home treadmill as I would on the road or track.  I have done workouts on the treadmills at the YMCA in which paces felt similar or even easier than running on the road or track......but not my home treadmill.  I wanted to complete the 2-mile tempo at 11.3 MPH (or 5:18 per mile pace).  To me, this sounded reasonable since I just ran a 5K last week and averaged under 5:00 per mile.  Well, I basically made it to 1.5 miles and my heart rate was WAY up, and breathing was labored.  I was trying to decide whether to gut it out for another 1/2 mile, or back off.  Knowing that workouts do not increase fitness the week of a race, I felt the best decision was to back off.  I lowered my speed to 8.0 MPH (7:30 pace) for 1/4 mile, then ran at 12.0 MPH (5:00 pace) for 1/4 mile before easing into my 2-mile cool down.  I have to admit that part of me felt like I wimped out when I slowed at the 1.5 mile mark.  My confidence in my fitness took a little hit.  Of course, this could be a good thing.  When I toe the starting line before sunrise (way before) on Saturday, I want my confidence to be in God, and His plan.......not myself or my current fitness level.  I want it to be in Him alone.  I want to walk(not during the race :-) ) and run(during the race :-) ) in His Spirit, so He accomplishes His plan through me.  My desire is for Him to be lifted up.  To Him be the glory.

No comments: