Friday, January 3, 2014

Down to 8!.......Days and Degrees!! :-P

January 3, 2014....6 miles recovery....home treadmill.  I had thoughts today of breaking out the Yak Trax (a piece of rubber with metal coils to help with traction) and running easy in the snow.   After thinking about it though, I felt the best decision was to stay off the ice and snow...the last thing I need right now is to slip and fall, or get some weird soreness or injury from running in conditions I'm not accustomed to.  Also, running at 70 degrees inside the house would probably do more to prepare me for the possible warm conditions at Disney.     
         Speaking of competing in possible adverse conditions, I can't help but be intrigued by Sunday's NFL playoff game between the Green Bay Packers and the San Francisco 49ers.  I believe the high temperature in Green Bay is supposed to be around -5 and the low is around -20 with the wind chill a mind numbing 20 to 50 below zero.....ouch!  I cannot imagine competing well in such conditions and certainly cannot imagine sitting outside and watching a football game in these conditions.  Sitting inside and watching a game like this is intriguing though.  I guess only a cheesehead would understand exposing themselves to such adverse conditions.  I would imagine almost every square inch of your skin would have to be covered with something.
          When thinking about equipping and preparing yourself for adverse conditions, I can't help but bring up what God has been stirring in my heart bringing in the new year.  As we pull out our winter jackets and layered clothing almost daily in the winter to prepare for the mostly frigid temperatures outside, it's almost as if God has been reminding me that there are much more than physical adverse conditions that we must prepare and equip ourselves for.  There is also a spiritual battle that we all face each and every day.  In the Bible, Ephesians 6:10-18 adequately explains this battle, how to prepare for it, and how to fight it.  It's a battle we cannot fight in our own strength or ability.  The battle exists whether we acknowledge it or not.  To not acknowledge the battle is to lose it, while winning the battle takes the full armor of God.  Turn on your sound and check out the video I posted from youtube.

         

No comments: