Wednesday, April 3, 2013

17, 16, 15, 14, 13, and Counting

April 2, 2013: 13 and Counting..... 9-miles (8 miles in 51:45; 1-mile w/8 x 100 meter strides - no watch) - Out/Back - Middleville Rd.  I felt pretty good overall.  My right hamstring felt a little tight on the way back, so I backed off a little....foot and back felt pretty much the same as they have been.  I can feel them there, but they are not slowing me down much.  Even with the above mentioned ailments, I still feel pretty good and relatively healthy.  Hopefully things will clear up even more as the taper progresses.

April 1, 2013: 14 and Counting..... DAY OFF.  Again, had thoughts of running today, but decided on full rest day as far as running is concerned.

March 31, 2013: 15 and Counting....... 17-miles (1:44:30) - This was my last long run before Boston.  I was very encouraged as I felt better as the run progressed, and ran the last 10-miles in under 60 minutes.  From everything that I have read about tapering, it is important to keep the intensity up in select runs, but only reduce the mileage.  I am thankful that I felt this strong today, even after running a race yesterday.  God is good!!  I jumped in the lake for about a 12-minute ice bath afterwards.

March 30, 2013: 16 and Counting.....  10-miles (3-mile warm-up; Webark 5K - 15:11; 4-mile cool-down); For March 30th, this was a cold race...about 29 degrees at the start.  The course was a relatively flat, out/back course with a few turns.  I had a goal heading in to break 15 minutes, but it wasn't to be today.  I felt ok, but not great during the race.  I know the results had me finish in 15:09, but I think the race timer might have started a couple seconds late as everyone was surprised when the gun when off....there were no verbal commands to start the race....only the sound of the gun, which caught people (and probably the timers) off-guard.  Also, I jogged the course after the race with my GPS, and the course measured 3.08.  The first mile-marker was at 0.98 according to Garmin, while the last 2.1 was pretty accurate.  My splits were 4:47 (for the first 0.98); 5:03 (included 2 sharp turns plus the turnaround cone), and 5:21 (for the last 1.1; I didn't actually see the 3-mile marker, but I figured my 3rd mile was around 4:51).  I am very blessed to come out of this with a solid race and pretty healthy. 

March 29, 2013: 17 and Counting..... 6-miles (43:10) - recovery - Shinnston Rail-Trail.  Legs felt decent, but not great.  I just tried to get in a recovery run before a planned 5K race tomorrow.  I didn't look at my watch until I finished the run.  I thought maybe I averaged a shade under 7-minutes for most of the miles, but it turned out I averaged a shade over 7-minutes per mile (besides the first mile, which was around 7:40).  I have a race tomorrow, and feel like it could turn out to be a good one.  It will be my last tune-up race before Boston. 

No comments: