Monday, January 19, 2015

Blistering Runs Lately....

January 19, 2015:  After taking Wednesday off last week, and having a 'pain-free' run on Thursday, I resumed my normal training plan.  On Friday, I did a total of 10 miles including a 3-mile warm-up; 4-mile tempo run (in 21:26); and a 3-mile cool down.  I followed this with an 18-mile long run on Saturday.
This is where the 'blistering' part comes in.  The run was coming along pretty-well......until around the 12 or 13 mile mark.  At this point, I started to feel an irritation on the arch of my right foot.  It didn't take long for me to realize that a blister was forming with each 'foot-strike' to the ground.  Being about 5-miles from the end of my run, I was about 5,000 'foot-strikes' away from home......oh....the damage that can be done in 5,000 foot-strikes.  What was I to do though?  If I slowed down, that would be more time, which would likely equal more damage.  Although the pain from my blistered skin was increasing with each passing mile, it wasn't totally intolerable.  I was able to finish the run without compromising my stride much.  However, when I was finished, I decided to fore go my customary 1-mile jog following my long runs.  Once I stopped, I knew that what was a 'slightly' tolerable pain would become 'intolerable' to the point of limping through a jog.
I just went straight inside to assess the damage.  Not surprisingly, the bottom of my sock was red.  I immediately took my sock off and saw evidence of the pain that I only felt before.  The skin was basically ripped off at this point, and there was nothing but raw, bright red skin.  I WAS NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO MY SHOWER. :-P
My wife took our daughter to an 'all-girls' birthday party, so I told my 6-year old son to not worry if he heard daddy screaming in the shower...it would only be because of my blister.  Here is what was interesting though.....when the time came for my foot to come into contact with the warm water from the shower, I decided to focus on God, and try to praise Him through the pain.  I wasn't sure what I was going to say, but what came out was something I had not heard in YEARS....LIKE MAYBE 15 OR 20 YEARS.  It was the old-fashion chorus, "Praise Ye the Lord, Hallelujah".  I probably said/sang it about 20 times or so before the pain started to subside.  Believe it or not, the pain was not quite as intense as I expected it to be.
Since that time, I have kept anti-biotic ointment, gauze, and medical tape on my foot.  My two runs since have been painful, but tolerable.....the showers.....pretty intolerable. :-P  I'm hoping as the days go by, the pain subsides, and my runs and showers become more enjoyable. :-)  

No comments: