Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Bittersweet

January 28, 2015: Overall, the week started out pretty well training-wise.  On Monday, I did 11 recovery miles on the treadmill.  On Tuesday, I wanted to do a track workout, but had to move it to the treadmill after an inch or so of snow blanketed the area tracks.  I once again did 11 total miles, but within those miles, I did 6 x 1/2 mile at full treadmill speed (12 mph) with about a 2 minute recovery jog between each half-mile.  

Today was the bittersweet surprise.  The sweet part was the fact that I felt as good or better today than I have for any training run during the past several weeks. I felt pretty strong and fit.  I ran 16 miles in about 1 hour and 38 minutes. That is an average of around 6:07 per mile.  Although I was working pretty hard through different parts of the run (mostly the uphills), I never felt like I was straining.....I was training....not straining. πŸ’ͺπŸ˜‰.  

Now the bitter part:  another blister....this time on my left arch. 😩.  The last time I ran in the shoes I wore today, I had a foot sleeve on along with a pair of socks.  Therefore, I had to loosen my shoes up a little bit so they would not be too tight.  I did not wear my footsleeve today.  My foot was moving around a little bit in my shoe, but it did not feel uncomfortable, so I did not tighten my laces back.  After about 11 or 12 miles, I felt the familiar πŸ”₯ burning sensation.  This time on my left arch.  Although I was running very well, I had this sinking feeling inside me knowing what was happening on my foot. I had just gotten to the point where I didn't have to put a bandage on my right foot because that blister had healed. Now I was imagining the painful shower I was going to have to take when I got home, and the fact that I would have to start wearing a bandage on my left foot, while this next blister heals.  It's almost like finishing a tough, difficult task then being told soon after to do it again.  The feeling of relief and accomplishment soon dissipates into dread and despair.  During the first 10 miles of this run, I was relishing in my pain-free, blister-free feet that I had struggled with the previous week.  Now I feel like I am practically back to the drawing board.
I guess my left foot was jealous of my right foot for getting to experience a blister, and felt it needed to experience one as well. 😏
Although I feel a bit despondent about it, this does not surprise God, and with His strength I need to persevere through this.  It's not the end of the world; just another little mountain to climb on the journey. 

 I am thankful to be running, and I'm thankful that I am His.  Gotta think back to 1 Peter 5:10. 

No comments: