Monday, March 25, 2013

24, 23, 22, 21 and Counting.....

March 25, 2013: 21 and Counting......4-miles (34:20).....recovery run....treadmill.  This is the first time I have run on a Monday in a few weeks.  We had a snow day today, so I thought I would do an easy run just to get the blood flowing a little bit.  Today starts the 3-week taper to Boston.  Over the last 9 weeks, I have averaged 75 miles a week.  I have had a few 70 mile weeks; a few 75 mile weeks; and a couple of 80 mile weeks.  I plan on doing around 60-65 miles this week.  Although my body does not feel perfect, I am pretty excited going into this taper.  There have been times in the past (like this past summer) where I have pretty much gone into the taper injured, and I desperately needed to back off.  I definitely feel like I am ready for the taper, but I do not have that injured and desperate feeling this time. I obviously do not know what is going to happen....and I want to praise God no matter the result of the race...but something inside of me says Boston is going to be good this year.  Of course no matter how the race goes, it does not change who God is or how GREAT He is.

March 24, 2013: 22 and Counting.... 20-miles (2:05:45); Prickett's Fort Rail Trail;  my last harder, longer run before Boston.  I was debating whether to do this run in the hills around Bridgeport, or hit the rail-trail for a flatter, softer run.  Although hills are what I will be facing in Boston, I want to get to Boston as healthy and fit as possible.  With my body being a bit banged up, I felt more at peace about hitting the more forgiving surface of the rail-trail.  I was definitely glad I chose the trail as I felt pretty fatigued through the first half of the run (66:12).  My pace was gradually getting quicker, but I just felt like it would cap off probably around 6:10-6:15 pace.  However, on the way back (with the help of a little tail wind most of the way), I ran the last 10 miles in 59:33.  My last my mile was my fastest (5:49).  This was truly a blessing b/c at the turnaround point, I made it a goal to run as close to 2:10 as possible.....breaking 2:06 NEVER crossed my mind until I hit the finish.  God is good!

March 23, 2013: 23 and Counting.... 8-miles (no watch) - out/back - Middleville Rd.  Ok, I am REALLY glad I did not wear a watch.  This was definitely a SLOG (Slow Jog).  I had a weird dream last night that I was trying to run down a straight stretch toward a finish line at Maple Lake.  However, I didn't even have the strength to stand up in the dream.  Therefore I crawled extremely slowly (like the slowest slow motion on your DVR or DVD player) to the finish line, then just collapsed completely on my belly when I crossed it.  Well, I didn't quite feel that bad for this run, but it wasn't too far off.  Just had trouble getting the legs to move.  However, legs feel healthy!  I praise God for that!!

March 22, 2013: 24 and Counting....10-miles (71:54) - Shinnston Rail Trail; My legs were definitely feeling the combination of Wednesday's workout and yesterday's long run home from school.  However, happy to get this in and surive it.....the taper begins soon! :-)....God is faithful!

No comments: