Thursday, September 11, 2014

Chicago Marathon - 31 days

September 11, 2014 - today was the first day off I have taken from running since June.  I know I haven't mentioned my training yet in this blog, but more of that is soon to come.  By God's Mercy and Grace, He kept me healthy through summer training, and continues to keep me healthy.  In fact, in the months of July and August, I averaged close to 85 miles a week, which is the highest sustained mileage I've run in the past 10 years.  He also blessed me with the WV USATF  5K State Road Championship in Huntington, WV.  I won the race in 15:02.  I also placed 12th and ran the Parkersburg Half Marathon in 1:09:33.  This past Sunday, I ran the Canton Half-Marathon as a Marathon-Goal Pace Workout.  My goal was to average around 5:30 per mile, and I averaged around 5:32.  I won the race in 1:12:31.  The 3 weeks leading up to this past Sunday's win in Canton included weeks of 92, 87, and 88 miles, respectfully.  That's 267 miles in 3 weeks, which could be my highest amount ever over that period of time.  It's possible I could have eclipsed that when I lived in Rochester, NY over 10 years ago, but I am not completely sure.
      With that mileage (not a lot for elite marathoners, but quite a bit for me), I planned to take a bit of a down week this week.  I originally planned to run around 75 miles this week, but I felt so totally exhausted after work today that I opted to play 'Horsie' with my 4-year old daughter and 6-year old son instead of run.  Although I don't feel like it all the time, when I do play with my son and daughter, it is a joy.  Just to experience their imagination, innocence, and laughter is truly a blessing from God.  As a result my mileage will probably be in the mid to upper 60's for the week, which is okay.
   With today being September 11, I would like to post a clip from YouTube (see above this post) that briefly highlights a sermon that Carter Conlon (pastor of Times Square Church in NY) preached the Sunday after 9/11.  When I watch it, I feel challenged to truly surrender everything I am and have to God, and live my life totally for Him and His purposes.  If you choose to watch it, I believe you will be blessed and challenged as well.


No comments: