Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Chicago Marathon - 26 days

September 16, 2014: How things can change over the course of a few days.  After taking a day off on Thursday, I ran 8 treadmill miles on Friday, then raced in the Jerry Dove FBI 5K on a RAINY Saturday morning.  The race itself went ok.  According to my GPS, the course measured 3.2 miles instead of 3.1.  This may not seem like a lot, but in running a 5K, the extra 0.1 miles actually adds between 30-60 (or even more) seconds to your overall time depending on how fast you are running. My official time was 16:10.  Even with the long course, I was still wanting to break 16:00, but hey, it was a great workout in the soaking rain.  God is good. :-)
     He is still just as good when things turn slightly south.  The day after the race, I wanted to get in an 18-mile long run.  With my calf muscles being slightly sore from the race the day before, I was going to take it pretty easy on this long run.  However, the run turned short when my left calf cramped up about 5 miles in.  It forced me to stop, and call it a day.   It was disappointing, but my heart felt at peace.  I felt reassured that God was not surprised by this (although I was), and He would see me through it.  As I am typing this 2 days later, my calf does feel better.  It does not feel 100%, but much better than Sunday.  I jogged an easy 5 miles on the treadmill yesterday, and jogged 4 miles on the road today.  It's still a bit tight and stiff, but never acted like it wanted to cramp back up either day.  On top of this, I caught some kind of cold, and am not feeling very well in general.  Not to mention, I had to have my car towed today. :-P All of this is forcing me to rest more......... to rest more physically, and to rest more spiritually in Him.  I have to throw my mileage plans for the week out the window; I may have to throw the car out the window :-P (still praying and believing for a good report tomorrow!!); and trust Him with any adversity that heads this way.  My training plan and routine of life have definitely been interrupted.  However, it's a peaceful interruption.  Although frustration and doubt start to creep in at times, my heart is at peace.  There is nothing too big or too small for God.  He WILL see me through these small trials.
    And small trials they are.  They are obviously absolutely NOTHING compared to what some people in the world are going through right now.  The fact that I feel safe in my home, have food to eat, get to see my wife and kids on a daily basis, and do not have to live in fear day to day is a complete blessing.  Even if I did not get to run Chicago after all of the training this past summer, and possibly lose a car,  I would still be one of the most blessed people on the planet.  Don't get me wrong....it would be disappointing, but I would have no reason to sulk.  God has been too good to me, and by His mercy, grace, and faithfulness I know He will continue to be.  It is well with my soul. :-)

No comments: